Sunday, March 8, 2009

Recurring Themes


Often artists will return to a theme in their work, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Being a landscape painter, I find myself attracted to roads or paths and to streams. The symbolism to me, represents the journey of life. Also, I find myself consistently repeating the theme of being separate or apart, both as an individual and as a journey taking step, removing oneself from the familiar. Sometimes I view and portray this in a positive light, but other times I understand the struggle inherent in being different from the norm or separate from the crowd. I often portray this in my work with the use of single and groupings of trees. The single tree is almost always representative of the individual, but a group can be either peer or familial groupings.
And at times, like in the painting, The Leaving, I incorporate both ideas of the stream as life journey and the separation aspect into the same painting.

4 comments:

Dogs by Bri said...

Beautiful tones and composition. Keep up the great work.

Bri-

marina vicari lerario said...

Fantastic work of art. I will follow your blog. Very nice.

Mary Ann Crayton said...

Mark,it is so wonderful to see your new work. I really love ALL of it. And I especially love what you said about paths. Thanks so much for taking the time to show us how you work. It was amazing to see the improvement in the painting. I'm glad that you went back to that one. I continue to enjoy the paintings that I have of yours and look forward to more. I really like the dune painting and I hope that you do more of those.

Mark Vander Vinne said...

Thanks Bri. You keep up the great work, too.

Marina, I'm glad you like what you see enough to follow along. Tell your friends. And thanks so much for the kind words.

Mary Ann, I think it was an improvement. too. As for the dunes paintings, I'll probably tackle one every so often, now that I'm becoming more familiar with the area, so keep an eye out for them.